“What grade did you get? What did your teacher think?” With reference to these and other “deeply anti-intellectual questions” we often pose to children, Alfie Kohn emphasizes “a single, powerful distinction” — between asking kids to focus on their performance, and asking them to focus on their learning. Kohn examines six consequences of our systemic overemphasis of ‘achievement’ and ‘rigor,’ and invites us to reflect on what practices, at school and at home, predictably contribute to the problem.
Further information and related resources are provided below the embedded video.
Alfie Kohn is the author of 12 books and countless articles on human behavior, education, and parenting. An outspoken critic of competition and rewards, he has been described in Time magazine as “perhaps the country’s most outspoken critic of education’s fixation on grades [and] test scores.” Recently on a conference call with today’s presenters, Alfie registered his point of view on a love of learning with typical economy and clarity. We were discussing the value of appreciative inquiry, and affirmative principles, to guides us in our change. And he said, “I think that to stop doing harm to children is as important as what we put in its place.” -CT
- Covenant to Help Inspire Learning and Development (C.H.I.L.D.)
- Educators and Parents Gather to Transform Teaching and Parenting (Press Release)
- Teaching and Learning at Home and at School (Info about #PSP2012)
- Videos from #PSP2012: Teaching and Learning at Home and at School (Index)
CFED on twitter
- (via Antonia Darder, Reinventing Paulo Freire, 2002: https://t.co/tkJ9THm2Nt) https://t.co/gUxtrh9lea 2 years ago
- RT @truthout: A New Generation Reclaims #MLKDay in Chicago http://t.co/W7ZhWPaWGk @bullhorngirl @may20p #ReclaimMLKChi #MLKDay2015 #MLK 2 years ago
- #MustWatch video on culture & curriculum from the Chicago Grassroots Curriculum Taskforce (@cgct) http://t.co/iAUxi24tBx (HT @VLA_Principal) 2 years ago
- "Democracy must be fertilized with schools that practice community and collaboration..." @plthomasEdD: http://t.co/TGJXj9n958 2 years ago
- RT @VLA_Principal: When curriculum acknowledges the history, culture and interests of students...students will be more engaged. #edchat #vlastyle 2 years ago
CONTACT USFor further information please contact us below.