Wendy Mogel poignantly examines a rising generation of otherwise ‘high achieving’ students who are “information rich, but experience poor” and who, as new employees and interns, “don’t take initiative [and] are uncomfortable taking on challenges.” She suggests that “what [students] need most of all is the opportunity to play.” Mogel confirms that “imaginative play increases executive functioning [and] causes you to grow in maturity… It is also hard work.”
Further information and related resources are provided below the embedded video.
Dr. Wendy Mogel is an internationally acclaimed clinical psychologist, and the bestselling author of The Blessing of a Skinned Knee and The Blessing of a B Minus. She is frequently consulted by journalists, and publishes articles, on the dangers of overprotection, overindulgence and overscheduling of children. Quite some time ago, Dr. Mogel was our school’s psychologist, and we have a little game around here guessing which perplexing anecdotes from Blessing of a Skinned Knee came from our teachers and parents. -CT
- Covenant to Help Inspire Learning and Development (C.H.I.L.D.)
- Educators and Parents Gather to Transform Teaching and Parenting (Press Release)
- Teaching and Learning at Home and at School (Info about #PSP2012)
- Videos from #PSP2012: Teaching and Learning at Home and at School (Index)
CFED on twitter
- (via Antonia Darder, Reinventing Paulo Freire, 2002: https://t.co/tkJ9THm2Nt) https://t.co/gUxtrh9lea 1 year ago
- RT @truthout: A New Generation Reclaims #MLKDay in Chicago http://t.co/W7ZhWPaWGk @bullhorngirl @may20p #ReclaimMLKChi #MLKDay2015 #MLK 2 years ago
- #MustWatch video on culture & curriculum from the Chicago Grassroots Curriculum Taskforce (@cgct) http://t.co/iAUxi24tBx (HT @VLA_Principal) 2 years ago
- "Democracy must be fertilized with schools that practice community and collaboration..." @plthomasEdD: http://t.co/TGJXj9n958 2 years ago
- RT @VLA_Principal: When curriculum acknowledges the history, culture and interests of students...students will be more engaged. #edchat #vlastyle 2 years ago
CONTACT USFor further information please contact us below.